Monday, October 26, 2015

In Google we trust

I have always been well known for my sense of direction....rather the lack thereof. Despite having lived in a couple of cities for more than 5 years, I still have no idea of their shape, which part lies north/south relative to the city center etc etc. The only way I have ever learnt how to go from place A to B is by making the journey on my own....generally on my two wheeler ( while I was in India that is...sigh). I'd get to know a route and stick to it like fevicol....never ever exploring places I didn't know and didn't absolutely have to go to. I can boast that I almost never get lost....but it comes at the cost of almost never having explored a  new place just for the heck of it.

Its not the greatest way to be, now that I'm in a new country sans my two wheeler and not many people to show me around. Whether it be for business or pleasure, necessity has me walking the length of the city alone, trying to find my destination. In all this, I've discovered a new best friend..... Introducing google maps!!!

Now I know, this is hardly a new concept... Using maps to get across a city. I've used it plenty of times even in India. But the true power of this app really comes through here. Right from the bus timings, alternative routes, and the directions for walking. I can plan my trip from my doorstep to the destination with absolute certainty. Every building, every subway mapped out in the finest detail so I know exactly where I am!!

Today was one of my first forays to Boston. On my own, to a city I've never been to, to see a show I dont know anybody at, with hours to spend and no clue what Boston has to offer!! Ordinarily, that would've been reason enough for me to put off going! But thanks to my new best friend, I managed to spend a very pleasant 5hours in the city with an air of confidence the whole time. Its allowed me to redefine my limits....knowing that I need not depend on anyone else to help me discover a new place. Of course, there is no denying that having company would be awesome. But not having company isn't the end of the world either. Its brought a nice sense of peace to my solitude....because I know I'm no longer trapped by it. So I guess I owe thanks to google for giving me another best friend.....ME!!! :)

9 comments:

  1. Mi purvi ek goshta aikli hoti, khara khota mahit nahi, pan goshta chhaan ahe ani vishayala dharun ahe.

    Kone eke kali IISc madhli 2 mula Bengaluru madhlya rastyavarun ratri chalali hoti. Tyanna iisc kade jaycha rasta mahit navhata. Andhar tar itka kala kutta hota ki dole fadun baghitla tari kahi disat navhata. Tevadhyat tyatlya ekala achanak ek kalpana suchli. Tyani "google maps" suru kela. Tya bhramandhwani chya patalavar prakashmaan zalela nakasha baghun doghehi mitranni ekdam sutkecha nishwaas sodla. Nakashavar pratyek rasta, saglya khana-khuna agdi vyavasthit chitrit kelyahotya. Ani evadhach navhe tar tyatun ek bai tyanna kuthe kuthe valaycha ahe, kiti antar saral jaycha ahe he suddha sangat hoti!! Doghanchya anandala agdi parawaar urla nahi. Ata nisshanka pane doghe tya google bai ne sangitlyapramane ek-ek paul takat margakraman karu lagle. Tasa khara tar tyanna tya prakashit bhramandhwani kade pahun ajubajuchya andharatla kahich disat navhata. Pan ata tyanna ti kalji urli navhati. "Google map" tyanna sarva prakarcha margadarshan karat hota. Asech kahi antar chalun alyavar Google bai ne sangityapramane te ekabajula walale. Ani achanak... DHADAM!!!! Google bai la rastyatla khadda dislach navhata. Ti pudhe bolatach hoti, "You have reached the destination" ("Tumhi niyojit thikani pohochle ahat")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yess. You started writing regularly ! :D
    Ho aani I completely agree to 1st para. I have not used any other route than teh one i used for the first time, to go to my guide's house ! IISc to Whitefield cha to rasta mala paath aahe pan baki kahihi mahit nahi !
    I am just too scared to get lost in city ! :P
    Google baba ki jai - Kadhitari explore kela pahije :)
    Khup upayukta aahe tujha navin friend

    @ Sid dada : Ha Ha Ha ! Ti don mula mhanaje tu aani harsh dada ka ? Majhi 99% khatri jhaliye :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one. I wonder what would the people there be doing when there was no google.

    Ani Sid, hahahahahahaha.. best! Tu mhanje tuzya pratikriyecha shabdan-shabda Namrata la agdi sahaj kalel yachi khabardari ghetli ahes!
    Btw, aata haat-paay kase ahet tumha doghanche? Far lagla nahi na ;) :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. :)

    Have totally related but completely different experiences of both Google Maps and Boston.

    I might have to write an entire post about maps, but the city drove me completely crazy. Don't remember being that scared for a long time. Visiting Harvard/MIT was awesome but I was always so late, lost, cold and hungry :P while I was there that it actually shook my confidence to the very core.

    BTW,(if you haven't already) don't miss taking the Freedom Trail tour that starts from Boston Common or City Hall. Oh, how much I love guided tours in America! They dress up in colonial-era costumes and actually perform incidents from American Revolutionary war. Never attended one but (from what i know) it might have had all the elements of a broadway show!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Madhumita!!! Late, lost, cold and hungry..?? Why was your experience in Boston so bad?? Well the cold i can understand, and maybe the lost too, but I hope your experience didn't put you off the city altogether! I actually quite like the place, though I've seen very little of it. It's my ticket to a social life, since I live in a town an hour away. Will check out the freedom trail next time I go...thanks! :)

      Delete
    2. Don't take my opinion too seriously! It might have got to with that thing called relativity. I arrived there from DC(which was super-awesome) and then went to NYC (Need I say anything?!)
      Dingy, claustrophobic tunnels were big put-off for me. So were the ugly, unimaginative skyscrapers.
      (Did consider giving you a call.. but I was there only for 5 days) Definitely calling you the next time.. :) At least my navigation issues will be taken care of :P

      Delete
    3. Haha I can understand!! I liked NYC a lot when I went there too, though living there might be a different ball game altogether...same case as Mumbai. Compared to the town I live in, Boston is super happening!! I love the fact that it has a lot of events happening. Keeps my life interesting!!! DC is the next city on my checklist!

      We should definitely meet up next time you come here. Dunno how much better I am at navigation...but even getting lost is more fun when you have company! :)

      Delete
    4. Ooooh....btw you are a You've got mail fan right?? Do you remember Cafe Lalo's....the place they both arrange to meet the first time...when he finds out who she is?? Turns out the place i stayed in NYC was right around the corner from it. Its an actual place....famous for its desserts. I was over the moon when I got there!!! :P

      Delete
    5. Awesome! Of course I remember it. :)
      And just the other day my sister and I were debating about the exact spot where they meet in the last scene of the movie.
      Before you make your next trip to NYC, go through this link I just found out about: http://onthesetofnewyork.com/youvegotmail.html

      If not anything else, all these rom-coms have definitely made NYC the greatest city on earth ;)

      Delete