It’s the end of a long day. I’m at home, sitting absolutely
still on the couch. I feel overwhelmed, like a vessel that’s filled to the
brim. It’s the good kind of overwhelmed because I’m overwhelmed with happiness;
so much so that I feel that I’m going to start crying any moment. I had a
wonderfully rewarding day today. I presented my work for the first time in my
department and received a very enthusiastic and encouraging response to my
work. I attended a teaching workshop where I managed to convince a group of
absolute strangers from impossibly diverse backgrounds that the human gut is a
fascinating and wondrous system to study. But this overwhelming joy has very
little to do with all of that. Instead it comes from a brief couple of minutes
in an hour long tango class.
I want for so badly to be able to describe it to you, but
try as I may I feel as though no words could actually do this feeling justice.
Have you ever been so aware of something that the world sort of melts away for
a little while. Your eyes are open but you aren’t really seeing anything. You
are awake but you aren’t really thinking. Your brain is just absolutely quiet;
no inner commentary, no internal dialogue. It’s the loveliest sort of silence.
I know my description sounds like being in a daze, but it’s not; in fact it is
the exact opposite. You have such crystal clear focus that your actions
actually don’t need any thinking; it’s instinctive, like a reflex. It’s you and
your partner, the music and the movement; all intertwined in a way that you can’t
really tell one apart from the other. You lose yourself for just a little while
and become part of this ephemeral whole and it is magical.
How much fuller and richer would our experience of life be
if we could just be more like this. Live life like this perfect tango. Not
react to or “deal with” the circumstances in our life, constantly analyzing if
we are moving in the right direction or whether other people approve of where
we are going. What if, instead, life were your dance partner. Circumstances
lead and you follow; and just like in tango, you aren’t dancing for an audience
but only for yourself, for the sheer joy of creating that movement with your
partner. There’s no right or wrong move; there’s beauty in just being still and
connecting with the other person, beauty in finding that sync where the lead
and the follow are virtually indistinguishable. You can go slow or fast or even
be still; but connected....always connected. And in that connection there is
magic…..in that connection there is peace.
What if we were to get up every morning and say to life….”Shall
we dance?”
Loved it!!!
ReplyDeleteThanks Anuja!!! :D
DeleteThanks Anuja!!! :D
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLovely!
ReplyDelete:)
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteYou described tango so easily and exactly how I see it... I couldn't do it better. Thank you for that. Can I share your post? Abrazos. :-)
ReplyDeleteSo glad you could identify with it Ewa! I'm honored you think its worth sharing....be my guest!!! Btw...I just learnt that Abrazos means hugs :D
DeleteLovely! This is exactly what dance means to me.
ReplyDeleteThank you! :)
Delete