Artists, writers, composers all talk of this weird feeling that comes over them, a spark out of nowhere that triggers their creativity. A word said by a stranger on the road, a fleeting thought or memory that can trigger a new composition, a new creation. A feeling so overwhelming, it compels to sit down and capture it that very moment threatening to disappear into forever unless you do so. Well I won't call myself an artist or a writer....stupid Devang Patel style lyrics to songs doesn;t really qualify me as one (though I am beginning to think of him as s kindred spirit!!!). Nonethess, there are times when I can string together a poem or two for people that mean a lot to me. It is especially useful as a birthday gift to the people in question, seeing how I am horrible at figuring out what gifts people would like! These poems, most of the times, are deliberate compositions. But yesterday I had a moment, when words just came to me from nowhere, triggered no doubt by a coming occassion, but unintentional nonetheless!! It was one of those times, when things were pretty effortless, words and ideas just coming to me rather than the usual struggle to fit thoughts into a rhyme scheme!! And though I say so myself, I loved it as I was coming up with it!! But alas, such things dont really think of an appropriate time when they knock on the door. It came to me when I was leaving for lunch, leaving me without access to my laptop to pen things down. I'd finished it by the time I was halfway through my meal and when I got back, it had slipped clear through my head (early onset Alzheimers' I tell you!!). Then at midnight yesterday, while trying to sleep, I remembered it again. I knew the ideas that I'd wanted to convey through the poem, but the words just didn't feel the same. It felt like a mediocre version of the one I'd composed in the afternoon. Don't worry, I haven't given up yet...but I felt like I'd lost something really good and that makes me sad!!! Anyway, lesson learnt I guess.....unbelievable though it may seem, some things are indeed more important than food!! :P
hahahaha..'some things are more important than food' :D
ReplyDeleteI have experienced similar loss of memory and sheer desperation whenever that has happened. I have also composed poems in my dreams, woken up immediately due to some overwhelming sense and then tried to recollect the words, but mostly in vain. Perhaps our subconscious/subcortical being is much more creative and spontaneous and when we think hard we don't really listen to it :p Nice post :)
Times like this make you wish you had a Stephen Hawking-like device that could just read the thoughts in your head and record them for you. Perfect recall!!! I wish!!! And yes, some things are more important than food might sound pretty obvious but try as I may I don't seem to act accordingly!! :P
Delete