If anyone were to ask me, what is the one thing that always
makes you happy….the unequivocal answer would be dance and music….of course you
might consider that as two different answers, but for me one cannot exist
without the other!! No matter what condition I am in….how down in the dumps…dance
is one thing that has always lifted my spirits. Whether its watching a dance
show on television (rather laptop these days) or actually dancing to a song,
dance in all its forms is a constant source of joy. In fact it is the one thing
that I don’t think I can ever give up in my life. Even if the only way I manage
to keep in touch is shaking a leg while cleaning up my room, it would still
mean a lot. In fact, me not responding to music is a sure shot way of confirming
that I am no longer alive, irrespective of whether I am still breathing or not.
It is the one thing I know I could never give up on….non-negotiable condition,
so my husband (whoever that poor soul
is) had better make his peace with it.
Thankfully, along with loving dance, I also seem to dance
pretty decently by normal standards (was going to write "or so I’ve been told" ….but
I think I know this much for sure whether or not people agree!!). I’ve learnt
classical for quite a while and one of my cousins seriously felt that I should
take it up professionally. It’s a notion that I toyed with for a while, still
do in fact in a very “what if” kind of way. But in the end, I realized it wasn’t
worth the risk! Now don’t get me wrong, by risk I am not referring to the lack
of security in the arts stream and all such practical notions. Even though all
those considerations are very valid, in today’s day and age, there is a lot of
opportunity out there. If you are good, there is a place out there for you! But
that is the condition, if you are Good!!! Considering everything, I knew I was
a good dancer, but I also knew that I had a lot of work to do to get anywhere
close to being a professional. It would mean a lot of hard work and a lot of
competition too! To tell you the truth, that is what decided it for me. Ever
since I can remember dance has been my escape….the place I go to when the
pressures of the world start to get to me. Studies, exams…all these things were
always a source of tension no matter how good I was at them. But when I danced,
I was free from all of that. I went to class for the pure joy of learning, reveling
in appreciation when it came my way, but happy nonetheless. If I took the
plunge, decided to take my dance to the next level, I would now be subjecting
myself to the pressures of succceding even in dance…..it would be an exam all
over again. I’d risk losing the enjoyment that I derived from dance under the
pressure of excelling at it.....and thats a risk I just don’t want to take!
People say the best way to be happy in life is to make your
hobby your profession, and I completely agree with it. That would be the ideal
situation!!! But sometimes, I feel it might be too much to expect of your
hobby/passion to make you happy as well as meet all your other needs!! Not all
of us are talented enough or driven
enough to make that dream come true. And sometimes, there are just some
criteria which are not in your control, things that cannot be acquired by any
amount of hard work…whether it’s the voice quality of an aspiring singer, or
the body structure of an aspiring dancer…somethings are not in our hands. But
that shouldn’t stop us from pursuing those things, just maybe not professionally.
So do something you like, that you are good at or can excel at….earn a living,
be comfortable…and make damn sure that you leave enough time for the things and
the people you love the most. May not be the best way to happiness, but its
close enough for me! :)
'But sometimes, I feel it might be too much to expect of your hobby/passion to make you happy as well as meet all your other needs!!'- totally agree. I confess I never thought it that way :)
ReplyDeleteThanks meghana :)
ReplyDeleteHobby is called a "Hobby" because its just a Hobby !! (Sorry for this profound thought :P)
ReplyDeleteI think, the hobbies can be best enjoyed when you do it as a recreational act. If one starts doing it for the bread and butter the equations may change.
Ya babtit Pu La (as usual) ashakya bhari bolle ahet :
http://antaraal.com/e107_v0617/e107_plugins/custompages/jan_front.php
@Vishal: Many people out there do it for their bread and butter....some even go bankrupt trying to make it, while others get phenomenal success. I guess its all about the belief you have in your talent. There are some ppl who would suffocate trying to do something that they don't love....people like us are happy enough either way. Its all about how passionate you are!!
ReplyDeletePuLancha aikun baghte...thanks! :)
@Vishal: PuLa ek number bolalet...!!!
ReplyDelete@Namrata: Some of the many of those bankrupt people are happy no matter what condition they live in. But if at all they are depressed because of unsuccessful attempts of becoming a professional, it is most likely that they will find refuge in their hobby itself. Don't you think it is a vicious circle?
@Sid: I don't think its a vicious circle at all...I'd have tremendous respect for them for retaining that joy which they find in their art no matter what conditions they are in.Its really a very difficult thing to do. Its a game of expectations in the end...whether they become professionals,or just teach it to others, such people will always find their place in the world because they are happy just to practice what they love!!
ReplyDelete