Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Flipped




Someone wise said that if you want to understand someone try putting yourself in their shoes. It’s a very good way to gain insight into any person. But what I’ve come to realize is that it doesn’t always work. Though right in principle, its almost impossible to predict how you would’ve reacted in that particular situation or how you would’ve felt. Try as I might, I can at best sympathize, but not really empathize with anyone!!!

Ironically life seems to be taking care of that problem!!! Past few years, I’ve begun to realize that my life sometimes tends to resemble a coin….and I’ve actually experienced both sides of a situation at different points in time. Situations where I may have hurt someone have come right back to me….and I’ve found myself the recipient of similar treatment. Don’t get me wrong, though it may sound similar I’m not talking about Karma or anything…I don’t nearly have enough knowledge to talk about stuff like that!!! Lets see if I can make this simpler. Has it ever happened to you, that you behaved a certain way with someone and they pointed out to you how you are being unfair or biased or whatever, but to you your behavior was completely justified. Now fast forward a few months, and something similar has now happened to you!!! Suddenly you find yourself saying the same things that had earlier been said to you….the other person’s point suddenly becomes a lot clearer and easier to understand!!!

Well this sort of thing has been happening quite frequently with me of late or maybe I am just more aware of it now! Makes it damn difficult to fight and blame people sometimes…cause I know I might have done the same in their place!!! I guess its all about perspective….its made me realize, I shouldn’t be too quick to pass judgement on anyone. Makes me wonder if there is really any absolute right or wrong  or rather is there any use of any such definitions. In the end, I guess we all just do the best we can in any given situation…..and live with the consequences!!

PS: I understand that this is one of the most confusing posts I’ve ever written. Please forgive me. But it’s the best I could do. If I ever manage to make more sense of these things, I’ll surely share!!! There is a song that really suits this situation…..listen carefully to the lyrics and you’ll get part of what I’m trying to say! 

1 comment: