Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sunrise to Sunset



I’ve been a movie buff for as long as I can remember. They’ve been an ever-lasting source of pleasure for me….a chance to live a thousand different lives, experience a thousand different emotions and learning something about myself at the end of every such journey. Of course, not all movies lead to these moments of self-realization…..but whether its slapstick comedy or drama or a mushy romance, there’s always something you can get from a movie, even if its just a smile on your face.

There are a lot of things that go into making a movie interesting….right from the story, the actors to even the locales and the songs/background score. But very very rarely you come across movies that are very minimalistic in the tools that they use and yet manage to completely captivate you. I saw 2 such movies yesterday Before Sunrise (1995) and Before Sunset (2004). Set in France, the movie is entirely based on 2 people who spend a few hours together in a strange city….just talking and getting to know each other. I know, I know….you guys are probably thinking that this has been done before…whats the big deal etc etc. But its  theactors and the dialogues that really breathe life into this movie.  Right from the awkward beginnings of a conversation with a stranger to the freedom of expressing yourself without fear because you aren’t ever going to see that person again….the director manages to capture the mood beautifully. The dialogues are amazing…..there are so many places you can truly identify with what they say…its real and that’s what makes it special. The sheer magic of truly connecting with another person is captured beautifully….its not the place or the ambience or the music, it’s the people that create this magic! 

After such an amazing first movie, I was most certainly skeptical of the sequel….made after a gap of 9 years!! But they managed to move me yet again. Before sunset gives you an exquisite feel of the character’s growth in the intervening 9 years. While remaining true to their nature, you can fully appreciate how life’s different circumstances have affected them. Their experiences resound with you, making an impact that lasts even after the movie is over. The dialogues flow like a river….sometimes making you wonder if the actors are in fact telling their own story. And its not just the words. There is a scene where the camera just follows them for a minute….no dialogues whatsoever. And yet their eyes and expressions betray the turmoil of thoughts in their mind. Really mind blowing!!!

I know now, that I have praised this movie way too much….and the high expectations created will probably prevent anyone from enjoying the movie like I did….coz for me it was a surprise package. But I’d still say….please do see it!!! Its worth every minute…..
 


6 comments:

  1. Hey I also watched the first on recently.. and I fell in love with that movie completely. Cannot wait to watch second one now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have it with me if u want. Repo var suddha sapdel. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Waa ! Mhanje khup diwsanni atishay uttam abhinay aslela ek movie pahayla milnar ! :)
    Nice read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Vishal: Pahilyanantar feedback de nakki!

    ReplyDelete
  5. have been a huge fan of "before sunrise" since ages.. "before sunset", (if i am not wrong,) was actually co-written by two lead actors..
    anyway, don't be surprised if people around you don't like these..(i personally am very sulky when people don't like movies that i strongly recommend).. i know only one other person who has really really loved both of those movies.

    just fyi, there is third movie coming up: "before midnight" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya I'd read that they were credited for the screenplay along with the director. Its done very well in festivals...but like you said, its not a movie everyone will like. Very few people can appreciate pure dialogue without something more. I find it difficult to listen to criticism for my fav movies....but since i'm a huge fan of senti movies, I've had to get used to that!! But nonetheless its our duty to recommend good movies....if ppl don't appreciate it....its their loss!!! :P

    PS: 3rd movie!!!! After another 9 years gap!! Keeping my fingers crossed that its good! Thanks Madhumita! :)

    ReplyDelete