Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Agony Aunt

I’ve always prided myself at being a good listener. Be it friends or family, I’ve always enjoyed getting people to talk and confide in me....problems, doubts, love stories....i’m game for anything!!And the tougher a nut to crack the better (there’s something exceedingly satisfying about getting people who are inherently silent to talk to you....lord knows they can turn into some of the most prolific talkers once u break the barrier....its fun!!!! J) This quality has allowed me to think of myself as a very successful agony aunt type of person and i’m pretty proud of it too :)

Unfortunately,in my case, this ability to listen is combined with a great love of talking!!!!As some people would say, i am a bit too fond of the sound of my own voice!!! Its not without reason that my teacher in nursery had labelled me “Grandmother” within days of knowing me! I have the capacity to talk non-stop, irrespective of whether or not i’m making sense!! The worst side of this is brought out if someone asks me for advice....thats just it!!! Especially if its with regards to future plans or a broken heart...man there ain’t no stopping me!!! I’ll have an endless list of questions..full on analysis aimed at helping you decipher exactly what you are feeling. Steps as to how you can deal with the situation or which is the most suitable path to take! Man, the sheer clarity of thought would make anyone think that i can deal with anything. Little do they know how quickly this clarity goes out of the window when a problem comes-a-knocking on my door!!!

Well most of the time my approach seems to work well with my friend. Present all the pros and cons and lend objectivity to an apparently confusing situation. But once in a while, you tend to cross the line. The advice stops being useful and just ends up adding to the confusion and instead of helping someone I end up making the situation worse. Good intentions and all set aside, I realise i’ve messed up. If only there were some alarm bell that would go off in my head warning me that an advice overdose is happening, it would be such a great help (this goes pretty high up on the wish list below a mute button for my voice...i always end up speaking loudly or even worse, laughing, at exactly the wrong time!!!)

For all those friends who’ve stuck with me despite all my constant talking, nagging, scolding and sometimes agonising advice.....you guys are the best!!! :)

6 comments:

  1. Hey, I haven't seen you being 'Agony Aunt'.. as you call it.
    I wonder we haven't interacted much or what?? :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah your time will come sooner or later...Agony aunt se koi nahi bach sakta :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. te computer screen wala emocon ani ulta copyright sign (copy-left?) donhi cha artha nahi samajla.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @shantanu: kay re...akhya post madhe errors sodun kahi disla nahi ka tula!!! :( computer screen wala emocon kuthe disla tar nahi mala..dusra was a typing error.

    ReplyDelete